Re: [Gnumed-devel] Would you recon GNUmed suitable ...

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Would you recon GNUmed suitable ...
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:25:00 -0800

On 2009-11-04, at 7:32 AM, Thiemo Kellner wrote:

for veterinaries, animal health practitioners or hoof care practitioners? I imagine that for the practitioners its functionality might mostly top the needs. What do you think? Would there be the possiblity to put the genus and spicies of the animal in a specific field? Maybe even the race? Would it be much adaption to implement that?

Veterinarians caring for my animals often used what seem like "medical" records in which they enter the animal as a "person/patient" and, where the field would exist, would input the owner(s) as the "parents".

I would suggest inputting the animal with the surname of the principal owner.

The animal's own name(s) would go in the "first names"

Suggest the owner name(s) be entered as aliases

Suggest genus and species, as believed-to-be-objective, be entered in a SOAP notelet as their own inception "problem" and could be assigned a clin_when equal to the animal's date of birth if that would assist a logical sort order. I suggest the genus and species not be entered as a "Past History" item because that is not really what it is but have not fully thought that one through.

GNUmed does not presently have a race field. I suppose we are here talking about biological information, like blood type.

We do know that certain bio-ethnic groups are predisposed to certain conditions. In some sense these can be thought of as attributes that, in addition to helping to classify individuals based on "properties" may also serve as a type of measure of predisposition like a risk factor.

Presently we have no special place for biologic attributes unless they would be the expression of a measurement.

Same with habits... we will in 0.6 have "substances" as an abstraction of medications, but I think family history and risk factors are presently best managed as their own health issue with multiple clinically-relevant episodes within (despite that only one of those is allowed to be active at any one time).