Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:58:54 -0800

On 2010-01-04, at 12:55 PM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> Neither me nor Karsten == GNUmed. Let me spell that out. GNUmed is a project.
> A project is never a person. A project has a leader. Often that leader is
> elected. Sometimes whoever leads (by doing work) is the leader.
>
> That means currently there is no entity that could claim the GNUmed project.
> Ideally a foundation, non profit or whatnot would be set up. All domains ,
> copyleft and whatnot should be transferred to that entity. This foundation
> would collect funds and engage in business partnerships.

At the point where any non-profit foundation would "own" gnumed would come the
issue of that foundation being subject to legal attack (justified or not) over
gnumed issues.

However I think if GNUmed is to be truly successful then sooner or later this
birth (or growing pain, whichever metaphor best applies) would need to be gone
through.

I was looking at Debian

        http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-contributing.en.html

then the link (under 13.3.1) to Software in the Public Interest

        http://www.spi-inc.org/about-spi
        http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/spi-projects

and I wondered therefore about the possible baby-step of becoming an Associated
Project
        http://www.spi-inc.org/treasurer/associated-project-howto.html

-- jbusser