Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?

From: Dave Cramer
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 05:48:00 -0500

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Sebastian Hilbert
<address@hidden> wrote:

> There is another problem: domains.
>
> Sure we could relocate to other hosting packages but there is risk that during
> the transition the domain will be grabbed by domain grabbers.
> http://www.gnumed.com/

How is losing the domain possible ? I presume you have control over the domain ?

>> > as pointed out, we would also require a public database. Is the current
>> > one presently hosted on some another machine?
>>
>> No, it's all on the same machine.
This is probably the largest technical problem, I'm wondering if you
can put a vm on something like Amazon EC ?

This is a paid service, but you only pay for what you use.

> That means currently there is no entity that could claim the GNUmed project.
> Ideally a foundation, non profit or whatnot would be set up. All domains ,
> copyleft and whatnot should be transferred to that entity. This foundation
> would collect funds and engage in business partnerships.

Postgresql is in a similar situation.

> Apart from that any number of companies could do business with that foundation
> or take the code and do whatever they please. All this is taken care of for us
> by the GPL.

Interestingly you as copyright holders are responsible for enforcing the GPL.
"Taken care of by the GPL" suggests an active entity will take care of it.

Dave