Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?

From: Dave Cramer
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:42:13 -0500

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

>> This is probably the largest technical problem, I'm wondering if you
>> can put a vm on something like Amazon EC ?
>
> The current feeling on the PG lists about Amazon EC and its
> ilk is that the "disk service" is too unreliable and too
> slow for running databases. Also when you shutdown the VM
> the "disk space" goes away - no more public DB.

Agreed, but I would think this would be a rather smallish database and
it may be fast enough.

>> This is a paid service, but you only pay for what you use.
>
> Yep, and we'd be using it always.

I think you pay by cpu and bandwidth actually used.
>> > Apart from that any number of companies could do business with that
>> > foundation
>> > or take the code and do whatever they please. All this is taken care of
>> > for us
>> > by the GPL.
>>
>> Interestingly you as copyright holders are responsible for enforcing the GPL.
>> "Taken care of by the GPL" suggests an active entity will take care of it.
>
> While your first statement is true there's still a few other
> enitities out there engaging in the affairs of enforcing the
> GPL, even if sometimes in behalf of the actual copyright
> holders. They've won pretty much all their cases so far

My point was that only the copyright holder can initiate the
enforcement. Agents can of course do the actual enforcement.

I was actually surprised to find this out. Ironically I was aware that
someone was breaching the GPL with the OSCAR project and not even the
client has the right to initiate enforcement, only the copyright
holders. AFAICT, this has some serious implications wrt ownership of
the code. For instance who (or what entity) is the copyright holder of
GNUMed ? The individuals who wrote the code ? If so what happens if
one of them ceases (for what ever reason) to be interested in the
project ? I think that some careful consideration needs to be paid to
keeping the ownership of the code clear.

Dave