[Gnumed-devel] check-prerequisites.py and also the directory external-to

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] check-prerequisites.py and also the directory external-tools
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:03:36 -0800

In addition to updating this script to check also for texlive (or one of its
installed binaries, pdflatex), should the script also be adjusted to henceforth
also check if it can see in the system PATH

        gm-print_doc

With regard to external-tools, if it contains some things unessential to the
running of gnumed, but also things that would henceforth be considered
essential  as soon as the user would attempt to invoke a built-in GNUmed button
(for example if we would now consider gm-print_doc to be essential) might it
make sense to rename the current

        external-tools

into

        external-tools-optional

and to create another

        external-tools-needed (or -base or -default)

to somehow indicate their essential nature.

Lastly, the experience with gm-print_doc made me wonder whether we would wish
anything like

        check-prerequsites.py

to be accessible from a GNUemed client Help menu. On account of it being a .py
file and not an .sh file, double-clicking in the GUI does not chain to
auto-invoke the .py file but instead the user is given an application list
which does not include Python. The case is different from (for example)
gm-from-cvs.sh which, if double-clicked, offers the user a dialog whether to
        Run in Terminal, Display, Cancel or Run

-- Jim