Re: [Gnumed-devel] Combining GNUmed record "parts" into a container / in

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Combining GNUmed record "parts" into a container / info package (PDF?)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:12:18 +0100

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 03:03:18PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:
> Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Combining GNUmed record "parts" into a container /
>       info package (PDF?)
>
> was Re: [Gnumed-bugs] client 0.6rc4 still can't print medications
>
> >> As a separate question, would CUPS-PDF have any relevance to us? I came
> >> across
> >>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/cups-pdf/+bug/472468
> >
> > AFAIK, its a printer driver for printing files as PDF.
>
> The use case that I have in mind is where it becomes necessary or desired to
> "package" multiple bits of information in order to be able to
>
> - provide the patient with digital information (e.g. on a USB stick before a
> trip) or
> - supply a consultant with a selection of information
>
> While the EMR tree and EMR journal each permit text to be selected/ copy /
> pasted, these do not include medications or allergies or access to any of the
> documents from the Document plugin.

One could write a template with a SOAP based placeholder and
thus include SOAP notes into the PDF or .odt produced ?

> I was therefore wondering whether to be able to select and
> combine various components into a PDF might be hugely
> useful. In the case of output that could (otherwise) be
> printed -- such as presently medications --, I wondered
> whether a print-to-pdf function would be an efficient way
>
> 1) to loop, into the Document archive (as PDF) a copy of something that was
> generated in GNUmed and

We can loop any output we generate back into the document
archive including the PDF medication list if we so wish.
Codewise it's just a matter of setting a flag.

> 2) to make possible to encapsulate a selection of parts to
> be combined into a PDF to be provided to a patient or to an
> external provider

You may need to specify this a bit more in detail in order
for me to estimate the cost in terms of effort. In principle
it's easy. Even now the medication list PDF can be saved to
an USB stick as well as any document from the archive. A
template could also include soap notes to be saved on said
stick.

Again, what happens with any document sent to gm-print_doc
is entirely at the whims of what that script does. It could
well ask:

        1) print to printer
        2) save to USB stick

and let the user decide.