Re: [Gnumed-devel] LaTeX contest for referral letter

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] LaTeX contest for referral letter
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:06:03 -0800

On 2010-01-13, at 2:38 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Therefore I put out the challenge to design a LaTeX template
> for writing a sort-of-referral letter. Think of it as: this
> is what I would like to hand to my patient when going to see
> another doctor / going abroad.

Some ideas appended. Happy to let another accept the relay "baton" be the
"winner".

> One thing is that you'll have to work within the constraints
> of the currently available placeholders.

Well, I ignored them (as a first draft) and we can see how big is the gap :-)

---------------------

# Centred
Originating Practice Information
Horizontal bar

# Left justified
Date

# In future, select from patient's or general contacts
# <Destination name & address>
#
#Dear <addressee>
# but for now:

To whom it may concern:

re: indent <UPPERCASE(lastname) + COMMA + SPACE + (firstnames)
indent  Date of birth: <date of birth>
indent  <list of other identifier name:value pairs>

# also desirable to include patient address and contact information
# also next of kin
# to conserve space I am wondering about making the above side-by-side
information
# maybe left side = patient identifiers, right side = the other demographic info

This will hopefully give helpful introduction to this now <age if less than two
years, in months, else in years> <months or years> old <sex/gender>.

# For future *real* letter we a method of inserting another paragraph of
referral text
# Maybe part of a SOAP note under the problem of interest
# perhaps the A summarizes what is being wondered or worried about
# perhaps the P would hold what is already arranged, or being arranged, as well
as any expectations or requests that the referring doctor would have.
# this SOAP may often, but not always, be the last under the thread.

Please find attached a summary of relevant portions of their medical file.

Sincerely,

<Clinician generating the referral>
# italics
on behalf of;
# plain text
<Patient's Customary Doctor in Praxis>

page break

thread of current episode of referral problem

Medications (and other substances)

Allergies

Problem List

Hospitalizations

page break

Last 3 months (or 100 rows?) of measurements