Considerations for success (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] FOSS EMR meeting)

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Considerations for success (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] FOSS EMR meeting)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:35:20 -0800

On 2010-01-19, at 12:29 PM, Jim Busser wrote:

> I missed the 1st 20 minutes so don't even understand what motivated those
> distro-people to partake in an IRC chat on EMR ??

That group did seem to want to better understand what people needed. The
following is from a project spearheaded within my publicly administered
Vancouver Coastal Health region. It undertook an

        Access to Quality Care Project (2008 - 2010 roughly)

and within it recognized it needed stakeholder input on People,  Process and
Technology. The feedback on Technology was:

Technology

-       Human interface is key to system navigation, but it can be enabled by
technology.

-       Systems must be user friendly – they are not viewed as such right now.

-       There are too many technology barriers right now.

-       Providers need to be consulted with regards to system
design/functionality

-       The value of technology systems must be proved in the context of
improved clinical care – physicians have ways of accessing information now –
but it’s often cumbersome and time consuming.  Technology solutions must
streamline access and eliminate barriers.  Current privacy policies are seen as
barriers.  Physicians need access to information regardless of where they are
physically located.  This is especially important when they are on-call.

-       System integration is important – can’t have duplicate data entry, all
providers need to work from a common chart/care plan

-       Need to integrate with other tools – depression self-management for
example, CDM Toolkit, others…

-       Technology solutions must fit within existing workflow.  This is
essential to adoption and benefits realization.

-       Need a system for managing changes/alerts to the shared care plan

-       Data sharing is essential.  New initiatives must fit within VCH’s IMIS
strategy.

-       The majority of information sharing is done manually right now – files
copied/faxed.  The shared care plan must provide essential information
when/where required.  The challenge will be determining what is essential.

-       Tools must be built from a variety of perspectives

-       EMRs can be a barrier.  Physicians with patients in residential care
often can’t access patient files because they’re not authorized or trained to
use the EMR.  In <the proprietary multi-disciplinary community health system>,
notations to “see paper chart” are frustrating.

-       Patients have a low level of understanding of electronic health
records.  This includes how medical information is captured/stored/shared.

-       There is also limited patient understanding of the various provider
roles and who should/shouldn’t have access to their information

-       The majority of patients feel the expected benefits of sharing
information electronically outweigh the perceived privacy risks

-       More patient education and consultation is required.

-- Jim