Re: [Gnumed-devel] LaTeX contest for referral letter

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] LaTeX contest for referral letter
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:37:10 +0100

Rogerio,

this is *marvellous* !

You had the picture-perfect timing I was *just* about to hit
enter for tagging the tree for the real 0.6 release :-))

(we could've put it under 0.6.1 no problem but still, this
is better)

Have a look at

        http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/PatientLetters

where I have started to pull together bits and pieces in a
fashion useful to both end users, template developers and
potential coders.

To speed up 0.6 I will adjust the template, add the
placeholders and re-attach it for you to learn by
comparison. It is a first draft and needs some fixes which I
am currently working on.

Jim, could you please go over the template and see to it
that we use proper English ? Thanks.

> Here goes my aplication needs some new placeholders ;-p but seems generic
> enough to deal with both referrals to a colegue health professional and
> being able to sit as a walk away letter of important info as used in travels
> and such.
>
> This is a first timer atempt at LaTeX, the output being so good is just
> another thumbs up for the hole LaTeX comunity.

+1

> if anybody is interested I learned to LaTeX through "The not so short
> introduction to LaTeX" by Thomas Oetiker, found here:
> http://www.ctan.org/get/info/lshort

That's a good one, yes.

This is helpful, too:

        http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/latex/ltx-2.html

> Thanks to Karsten for GNUmed and this awesome opportunity to test-drive
> LaTeX.

GNUmed wouldn't be half of what it is without users and
people that help improve it !

> On a more practical note, how do I make GNUmed put the placeholders that I
> made with this file?
>
> Please a baby-step procedure :)

They must be added to gmMacro.py.

1) decide whether fixed (doesn't need circumstantial
formatting) - such as allergy state or last name - or
needing formatting (such as the list of current meds)

2) depending on that add it to the lists of known
placeholders

3) implement the handlers further below (have a look further
down in that file)

4) add a test

That's the rough procedure. Feel free to try it and ask for
more details.