Re: [Gnumed-devel] LaTeX contest for referral letter

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] LaTeX contest for referral letter
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:26:00 +0100

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 02:25:59PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> > The first footnote is it possible to NOT make it into the final document?
> > It is very, very weird for me, imagine for another doctor...

I added a \tiny in front of it. It is not at all unusual on
pseudo-forms / letter crossovers here in Germany. Just look
at the margins of any of the insurance company accident
details requests.

> How about remove the current line and instead provide a different "debug"
> placeholder:
>
>       if client is in normal (non-debug mode)
>       --> pass via this debug placeholder an empty string ""
>
>       else
>       --> pass "<line break> + <template reference>"
>
> and concatenate the placeholder onto the end of
>
>       gnumed.org
>
> that way in normal mode there will be nothing of it in the pdf or paper,
> whereas in debug mode it will appear as an extra line

While technically a good solution this ensures we will never
see it when we want it.

> PS can the horizontal line separators in the footers be made to extend more
> fully across the page?

If we throw all our combined forces behind the opposition to
TeX's typographic excellence, then, yes, there is a way.