Re: [Gnumed-devel] Update on status of Mac OS 10.6 (darwin 10) Snow Leop

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Update on status of Mac OS 10.6 (darwin 10) Snow Leopard
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:23:18 -0800

On 2010-01-24, at 8:43 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> Don't get me wrong here but it seems like Apple's attitude towards this is
> why
> should we care.

I think we need to be careful to separate Apple from the volunteer community
who is working to make it more possible to run free (e.g Linux/*nixbuilt
packages) software on the Mac.

> If you (us) as a software developer want to go Mac we must play by their
> rules.

No, MacPorts has all along worked to try to insulate itself from the lack of
control over what Apple does. For example Apple for the longest time was
running Python 2.3 and also made some changes to it which not even those
softwares able to run on Python 2.3 would necessarily run correctly (from what
I understand) so MacPorts made it possible to have multiple non-Apple-ized
pythons on one's Mac and to select from among these "normal pythons" without
disturbing the base modification on which Apple depended.

> That means we need to get those dmg images working and throw every
> dependency into that dmg.

Well. the above would work but I think for production it will be better to have
MacPorts (which is not an Apple project although I think Apple might indirectly
support it). Snow Leopard (10.6) was only released around August - September
and so with it being only January I would be reluctant to be critical. As to
why bother to try to get GNUmed working on non-Linux, I think it's important to
help people who use the other OS's that what they can run on their customary OS
(and more) can run on Linux. It overlaps a post to the MacPorts list I made
here:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-January/018597.html

-- Jim