Re: [Gnumed-devel] Sort-of intra-praxis messaging

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Sort-of intra-praxis messaging
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:15:30 +0100

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:32:15AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> Pending a widget that would allow creation of an inbox
> message using the GNUmed GUI,

That is planned for 0.7.

> it would be possible for a
> user to find themselves (because they would be a person who
> exists in GNUmed, even though they were not yet a patient)
> and presumably might be able to add themselves into the
> waiting list and could then attach a message to a suitable
> zone (e.g. a zone that related to a particular doctor).

That is a nice creative use of the waiting list :-)

> Is the above workable, or does it violate the concept that
> a person must be considered to have become a patient once a
> related record is created in a clinical table and I believe
> the waiting list is a clinical table?

It is but reality is king. No matter whether GNUmed thinks a
person should be considered a patient - that doesn't make
the person sick.

Perhaps, clin.encounter really should be adm.encounter ??

(If so, however, clin.encounter.rfe and friends are arguable
 still clinical. Hm.)

Technically, yes, GNUmed would AFAICT make that person a
"patient".

> Would it be easy, medium or hard (or inappropriate) to
> add, to the Inbox plugin, the capacity to create a message
> and to specify in a phrasewheel box the user within the
> praxis to whom the message is being directed?

That's pretty much what's planned and it is of medium
complexity.

I shall caution against desiring the Inbox to become another
Jabber. This I will not take into consideration. If a praxis
wants realtime communications amongst its staff it better
install encrypted jabber and be done with it (we shall
happily *interface* with that if need be).

The Inbox system is intended to serve as a mailbox for
messages generating from places not knowing anything about
email addresses and/or IM accounts but only wanting to drop
a note to an in-GNUmed provider about in-GNUmed concerns.

Nonetheless, this *can* be creatively (ab)used as a poor
man's IM or mail just like any other technology. We should,
however, not explicitly foster such attempts.