Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [Gnumed-bugs] Measurements plugin display uninfor

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [Gnumed-bugs] Measurements plugin display uninformative when no measurements exist
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 13:36:11 -0800

On 2010-02-04, at 1:04 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Imagine a status line message provoking us to go check something in another
> plugin...

Imagine me possessing sufficient short term memory that -- if I would read (and
respond) to a status message, and accordingly switch to the plugin about which
the message relates -- I should no longer need that reminder to be kept.

While you might argue a user could have changed to some alternate plugin
without having taken notice of the status message, my reply would be that -- if
this hoped-to-be-useful message can anyway be overwritten (say the user checked
for updates), the argument to not clear it weakens.

My understanding would be that the status message is intended to give an
immediate response to an attempted process and that immediacy loses relevance
as the user continues to do other things. It is not as if the status message
jumps up and down until it is attended to. For lack of a datetime stamp within
the status message, the user risks having no idea how long it has been there.
If it risks being kept in any circumstance where it could be misinterpreted,
then it should be consistently cleared. if it has relevance, it should "come
back" as the user would again attempt the thing that causes the status message
to appear. For all we know, the thing that caused the status message might in
the meantime be cleared by the user without even noticing the
hoped-to-be-helful status message.