[Gnumed-devel] Website traffic analysis

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Website traffic analysis
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:15:39 +0100

Hi all,

I thought I share some data on GNUmed's performance on the web.

From Jan 1st 2008 to Jan 31st 2010 there were 219261 page views by 170769
unique IP addresses (dial up users and dsl line users might have more then one
IP address over time)

Visitors (humans and search engines combined) stayed 1minute and 39 seconds on
average.

39% just looked at the first page and left. Of those making it to the old
Download page 47% left right there. Of those that made it to the old
installation guide in English 61% left there.

Top 3 for websites visited:
1.) Main wiki page
2.) old download page
3.) GNUmedManual

What does this tell us ?

1.) We have one minute to either keep or loose a visitor
2.) We better make sure that the download page and the manual are of best
possible quality

Fast forward to March 3rd 2009. After a lovely dispute with the Banshee guys a
new Download page was introduced. Did this have any effect ?

GNUmed drop out rate from the first page was stable (39%-->37%). Drop out from
download page went down from 47% to 41% (not as much as I had hoped). However
the time people stayed on that page increased from 1:07 to 1:38 which is a
good sign.

For January 2010 the stats look like this: drop out from 1st page up to 42%
despite the fact that we had a release. Drop out from download page down to
37%.Time on download page up to 1:50 min. drop out rate from manual is only
18% however on 42 seconds are spent on reading the content :-) I guess this is
largely due to search engines which tend to read pretty fast.

Conclusion: 1:50 on the download page is not bad and the drop out rate went
down from 47% to 37% after the facelift. This could mean users actually find
what they want. Visibility is still low. Most traffic (37%) comes from google
(human or engine ?), second up is freshmeat followed by wikipedia,
versiontracker, vondoczudoc.de and only a few from postgresql, and a few other
sites and blogs. However during release time traffic goes up.

Sebastian