Re: [Gnumed-devel] drugref2 in Oscar

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] drugref2 in Oscar
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:13:58 -0800

On 2010-02-15, at 10:55 AM, Jim Busser wrote:

> See also next email for some general questions about how the drugref concept
> might best be leveraged, going forward

The original drugref web site (www.drugref.org) would appear, judging from
archive.com, to have gone dormant with no new pages since 2007 and the site is
no longer responding to web page requests, yet the domain appears to still be
registered:

        http://www.robtex.com/dns/drugref.org.html

Background information on the what the project intended remains web-acessible
at:

        http://www.hl7.org.au/docs/ITOL/ITOL_drugref.org.pdf
        http://linuxmednews.com/1040692306

So my larger questions pertain to how drugref might most optimally be used. Is
the idea that:

- for purposes of speed and reliable access, a praxis which uses GNUmed may
desire to also install drugref locally?

- would drugref be instantiated separately from GNUmed and "serve" requests
that are issued to it by local GNUmed?

- would GNUmed clients issue drugref requests directly to the drugref server,
or would it be the GNUmed server that passes the requests to drugref?

- if drugref would be installed locally, would it best fall under a framework
in which there would exist a primary "reference" drugref server, ideally
mirrored for load-balancing, against which locally-installed drugrefs would
remain "in sync" ?