Re: [Gnumed-devel] Texlive and Gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Texlive and Gnumed
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 20:20:44 +0100

> I was wondering if there were plans to abandon Texlive packages (as well
> as
> Korganizer and KonsoleKalendar) as dependencies/recommends/suggests in the
> Debian and Ubuntu packages.

There are no such plans. We just added TeX with 0.6. You need TeX to
print medication lists and letters. We also did lower the dependency to
texlive-base dropping -extras.

Korganizer isn't a dependency at all.

Konsolekalender is only recommended and not installed by default (at
least not in Debian).

> I believe I mentioned this before months

Not that I remember but I may have forgotten.

> Texlive and the other packages are native to KDE but not Gnome

The knee-jerk reaction would be "this is utter bull" but in a
reasonable world I shall ask: "What makes you think that ?"

> Your results may vary but you get the idea.  The size of the required
> download is unbelievably large when you consider that the GNUmed,
> PostgreSQL
> and Python packages (the main GNUmed requirements) only amount to a
> 60-80MB
> download at the most.  What's even sillier is that I couldn't get
> Korganizer
> or KonsoleKalendar to work once installed.

It is *silly* that *you* didn't get it to work ?  What do
you expect anyone to interpret that statement like ?

Does Ubuntu not ship working versions of those applications ?

The installation size of GNUmed + TeX is easily dwarfed by any
meaningful use of the GNUmed EMR - databases will run up to several
Gigabyte. The one I am taking care of currently is 7 Gig with no
shortage of disk space in sight on their 200 GB hard drive.

What does the size of GNUmed have to do with the size of packages
it uses ?  If we would re-implement in GNUmed the flexibility we
gain by using TeX GNUmed would become just as large. And it would
contain a lot more bugs that have been wiped out from TeX already.

> Since Gnome is the default for both Ubuntu and Debian you know people will
> notice.  Such a download is obviously prohibitive for using Gnumed

Not that I have noticed so far.

> Can this be remedied?

What is your suggested course of action ?

Where can we download linux4clinics and observe the problem you are
having in real live ?  At which URL to you want me to answer to
the complaints/worries of your users and explain to them what TeX is
being used for ? Maybe we can discuss with them what they feel would be
a better approach ?

jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser