Re: [Gnumed-devel] Texlive and Gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Texlive and Gnumed
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 22:32:07 +0100

> It is not prohibitive for sure. Texlive is essential for printing
> virtually
> every document from GNUmed. Little can be done about that I am afraid
> unless
> some fixes OpenOffice (I doubt that).

Well, I am trying my best to look into that. There is two problems with
OpenOffice:

1) the Python UNO connection to OOo doesn't always work properly

- it works for me on Debian Squeeze
- it is reported to not work properly on other Squeezes
- given that OOo is a major application it is not likely to
  be fundamentally flawed
- however, there just may be some lack of consistency in some
  corner cases regarding Python UNO

2) OOo doesn't support non-greedy regular expressions
   when searching text

- this is a fundamental shortcoming in OOo which isn't easily
  overcome by GNUmed
- it does prevent GNUmed from applying the "new" placeholder
  style when attempting to use more than one placeholder per line
  of text
- there still is the workaround using the "old" placeholder style
  in such situations

Debian did recently caution about corrupted OOo parts having been
installed under some circumestances but it was reported that things
did not change after that.

Given the above it is rather hard for me to debug this efficiently.
Extensive log inspection between Marc and me did not lead to a
satisfying solution so far.

jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser