Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinician input wanted: vaccinations

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinician input wanted: vaccinations
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:06:44 +0200

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:16:12AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> > Please go over the list and check for any that would be
> > missing !
>
> How would you suggest that special cases like influenza (H1N1) be handled?

I would try to drop the stigma "special case" first of all :-)

Either we decide that h1n1 is a conditition medically
sufficiently distinct from seasonal influenza or not. If so
it'd be a preventable of its own. Else we'd just group it
with influenza per se - it'd still be differentiable by the
actual vaccine if the provider took care to actually enter a
specific vaccine.

I would personally opt for making it distinct. I added it
under "influenza (H1N1)" ;-)

> It may also be helpful to omit patients who cannot or
> should not have a particular vaccination. When patients had
> an allergy to eggs entered into the GNUmed allergy area, is
> there a way to auto-detect a conflict receiving say MMR and
> influenza (despite that MMR possibly *can* still be given)?

Well, GNUmed can surely check one way or another (free-text
parsing for translations of "egg", checking for egg allergy
codes) but we don't have access to sufficiently detailed
information regarding vaccines such that potential problem
cases could be established.

*However*, GNUmed will of course display allergies when
entering/viewing vaccinations -- just like with drugs.