Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed plugin development - how to share your work

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed plugin development - how to share your work
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:08:23 +0200

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:36:30PM +0200, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> First I get a local copy of the 'main tree'. It is hosted at gitorious for
> everyone to grab. I grab a copy by cloning it. For that I create a
> subdirectory 'Sources' in my home directory and run the following command.

Nice git howto !

> This gives us the latest code in the master branch. For our plugin it makes
> sense to create our own branch. This is done by the following command.
>
>     git branch add-echo-xml

I usually choose shorter branch names because I'll be typing
this rather often.

> To list all available branches use:
>
>     git branch
>
> It will output:
>
>     *  add-echo-xml
>     master
>
> The branch with the asterisk is the currently active one.

Since we switched to git the gm-from-vcs.sh script will show
the branch it is running in if it runs from a git tree ;-)

> Finally we commit all this by:
>
>     git commit

Using "git commit -v" allows you to see below a diff of all
the changes while writing the commit message. I typically go
through the changes, write a bullet point for each in the
commit message at the top and finally add a summary as the
very first line in the commit message, like so:

This is the summary for this commit.

        - first change
        - another change
        - still something else

If you want to abort the commit just leave the commit
message empty.

> Whenever we change files during developement we need to go through this (git
> branch add-echo-xml, git add, git commit) again.

        git checkout add-echo-xml

that is, because the branch already exists (as git will tell
you).