Re: [Gnumed-devel] Clinicians: indications, again

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Clinicians: indications, again
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:58:54 -0700

On 2010-06-17, at 10:33 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> This is what GNUmed currently "knows" about vaccination
> indications.
>
> Anyone care to expand on the ATCs or suggest some ICD10s ?

Maybe I have a different meaning for indications. To me, an indication is not a
purpose but rather a situation that justifies to do something.

A patient has an aortic aneurysm and a possibility of a surgical repair.
Surgery achieves a repair, but the repair is not the indication... the repair
is the outcome. The indication is not even just the existence of the aneurysm,
it should be e.g. aneurysm >5cm

So back to vaccinations, the "indication" for pneumovax is not the intended
outcome of immunization. The indication should be

        hyposplenism
        chronic lung disease

etc ... or do I misunderstand the table, and is the table supposed to include
some yet-to-be-added columns that are *themselves* to hold the "indications"
which will indicate the use of the vaccine (and maybe the first column should
have a different label)?

-- Jim