Re: [Gnumed-devel] Freemed new features

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Freemed new features
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:52:01 +0200

Am Donnerstag 24 Juni 2010, 11:04:25 schrieben Sie:

> not usable with Safari.
>
> >> After some social engineering here is the link to the full interface
> >> http://www.freemed.info/freemed9/controller.php/dojo/org.freemedsoftware
> >> .ui .login
>
> not usable with Safari.

Ouch. Thanks for the report. I am sure the Freemed team would like to know
that.

Digging a bit deeper it seems one of the milestones for the current prerelease
has been to seperate user interface and backend. That said they are waiting
for the UI team to complete the work so I guess the vaccination stuff is there
in the backend.

FYI

The webinterface they had was close to unusable for todays standards. They
redid it by using GWT (google web toolkit) but since GWT is JAVA based they
must have used a translating layer like JSON-RPC (I can be wrong)

Any way you put it modern browsers only understand Javascript. So while GWT is
JAVA based it compiles JAVA code into Javascript.

They currently use php on their backend I believe so they need the bridge from
php to javascript via GWT ( I can be wrong). I read in their roadmap that they
plan on replacing the php stuff (I guess) by a Java backend.

When they do this they can use GWT natively I guess.

For now freemed public demo seems to be a bit on the slow side (lacks
snappiness) but that is mostl likely due to devel code, preview status and
maybe server location. GNUmed's public database is often much slower for
people. I looked like some of their widgets could use some sort of caching.
Anyway I hope they succeed in what they are doing.

There are various other effort like pyjamas which tries to compile python into
javascript. In the end there is a huge variety of toolkits and frameworks

There seems to be no straighforward way to have a python application use GWT
or extJS or any Javascript toolkits.

Feel free to correct me as the above statements are made knowing little and
reading a lot lately about web developement.

I guess the biggest problem with webinterfaces it that developers often mimic
desktop applications. However on the desktop there is no back button. User
like me put a lot of effort into breakin any webapp by creative use of the
back button.

Sebastian