Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 91, Issue 51

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 91, Issue 51
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:48:55 +0200

Am Dienstag 29 Juni 2010, 00:50:15 schrieb Elizabeth Dodd:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, richard kim wrote:
> > Hi.  I am new here, so take these comments for what they are worth, and I
> > apologize ahead of time for any ignorance.  I, with a group of friends,
> > tried to start an EMR project of our own, but it fell apart completely.
> > I hope to share my opinion from my experiences.
> >

> > My personal bias is that a web interface is essential, and even a
> > preferable means to access an EMR.
>
> Thanks for your comments.
> I don't want a web interface. The use of a browser within my network
> immediately increases the risk of malware (unfortunately the software runs
> on Windows only), because once one browser window is open then its just
> two mouse clicks to another tab.
> All the malware that has entered my work network has been through browser
> use, so I am more than moderately paranoid about this.

That is a good approach. One could hack together a webkit based browser where
all you get is the GNUmed interface. No other click possible :-) Or use
whitelisting where you block all sites except GNUmed.

> > Setting up a server-fat client model can be
> > difficult for physicians, even just to experiment and test the product.
>
> Physicians are not coders and sysadmins. My long distance assistant helps
> me with the sysadmin and does all the necessary coding (bash scripts etc).
> He's at Uni, and I pay his keep.
> Otherwise I would pay local someone to do the work.

We support hat as well. You don't want to be treated by a self proclaimed
"physician" unless you know that the skill level is on par with what you
expect from a formally taught one.

Sebastian