Re: [Gnumed-devel] improved medication list

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] improved medication list
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:39:41 +0200

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 08:28:42AM +0200, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> > I have improved the current medication table in the LaTeX
> > format. This is now much more suitable for patients
> > wondering how they should take their medication.
>
> Conny is saying that there is too much information. While the information is
> technically correct it could lead to a patient taking sixty pills (pulse
> value)

Excellent point !

> She prefers to only have it say heart medication or blood pressure medication
> or pain medication.

While this is very patient-minding it isn't in our hands
because GNUmed doesn't know the purpose of the medication at
that level of granularity.

> Maybe we could have another simpler template. I understand
> that the information there is manual input anyway so she could write whatever
> is there.

Exactly, a mindful doctor will put such things in the proper
field such that they end up on the right spot on the
printout.

> The component information for combination drugs needs to go away for
> her preferred template as well.

Hm, hm, what happens when the pharmacy replaces the brand
the doctor had prescribed and perhaps discussed with the
patient ?

This happens every day. The patient must be able to identify
components in drugs (I know the patient never will but it
must be possible).

> A fairly young patient (50 or so) recently confronted her saying. Hey, a few
> weeks back my urologist noticed elevated PSA-levels. He screwed up because he
> failed to detect my (now diagnosed) lung cancer.

Uhm, like, what does this tell me ?