Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed web interface - to framework or not to framewo

From: lkcl
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed web interface - to framework or not to framework
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 14:43:07 -0700 (PDT)

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> supposedly going through a language-to-Javascript compiler
> will fail badly in case of a bug

this is *precisely* why we have the unit tests, of which there are about
3,000, and the ultimate aim is to run the entire python regression test
suite (under pyv8 - not in a browser of course).  nothing goes in to the
pyjs compiler without a unit test to back it up.

http://pyjs.org/examples/libtest/output/LibTest.html

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> various techniques including Json and RPC exist but there is no consensus
> or benchmarks
>
> designer applications
> the widely used frameworks such as extJS and ZK have designer applications
> available which would allow non-coders to produce pseudo code or mock ups.

it's very new but pyjsglade does exist.  it's a GUI editing tool, similar to
gtk glade.

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> So far I have found nothing that fits the bill. In case of Pyjamas I am
> unsure
> about its future and its set of widgets.

 why?  i'm never going back to HTML/CSS / javascript programming - ever.
there are enough people if i get hit by a bus, such as greg, kees and so on,
to continue working on it.

 there's a roadmap and everything.

 the chances of me abandoning pyjamas for "the next best thing" are pretty
much zero.  i will add extra runtimes (giving serious thought to making
pyjamas run under silverlight, porting it to IronPython!) but i will _not_
be going back to the sheer insanity of HTML, CSS and javascript browser
incompatibility.  it's simply too awful to contemplate, once you've used
something like pyjamas.

l.