Re: [Gnumed-devel] Drug dosage (usage) in renal failure

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Drug dosage (usage) in renal failure
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:19:54 +0200

> anywhere freely available? A table containing the above could serve as the
> basis for a mapping to the German-language page of the
>
>       Klinische Pharmakologie & Pharmakoepidemiologie, Universitätsklinikum
> Heidelberg
>       Department of Clinical Pharmacology & Pharmacoepidemiology, University
> Hospital of Heidelberg
>       http://www.dosing.de/Niere/nierelst.htm

Sad story, that.

I have tried to contact them 3 or 4 times.

Once asking whether they could add ATC codes to each of their substance
pages -- this would allow us to map from brands to the appropriate page.
It would also allow us to map from other languages to the appropriate
page.

Never any answer.

Later I simply asked whether we could somehow get access to their work
for inclusion with GNUmed (or, rather, FreeDiams).

No answer.

Later, an article was published in a German primary care journal by
someone having conducted a study on how using their data changes dosage
awareness in GP practices. One of the results was that better integration
within the EMR was key (they used a standalone version of dosing.de).

I contacted that person that we want to do just that, got a response
after a long while, was forwarded to someone closer to dosing.de,
contacted that person and then silence, again.

Just one of the examples of how most things coming out of German
universities are bull*t. What a waste.

Nonetheless, GNUmed uses dosing.de: It provides a button to open
a site-local Google search on the selected substance on dosing.de :-)

> I have contacted the site (email link) to see if they are interested to
> make it easier for outside programs to link.

Good luck. I believe they are either ignorant or arrogant, sorry. I´d
love to be proven wrong.

> It would be fantastic --- in the presence of user internet access --- to
> generate from FreeDIams (or GNUmed locale / db) a language-contextual Google
> translate callout to the matching drug page (if exists) at
>
>       www.dosing.de

We already sort of do (in 0.8)  :-)

Except that it is not yet translated.

Feel free to suggest a generic URL !