Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: FreeDiams' LK_MOL_ATC

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: FreeDiams' LK_MOL_ATC
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:28:13 +0200

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:57:03AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> 1) the molecule name might not match what other countries use even in the
> >> same language (e.g. maybe they kept their own historical molecule names
> >> instead of updating data files to INN)
> >> but
> >> 2) within any one country data source, each molecule likely has a distinct
> >> name
>
> do we have agreement on the above?

fine with me

> >> and so what about a table
> >>
> >>    ATC_WITH_NAMES
> >>
> >> with columns
> >>
> >>    ATC
> >>    INN_EN
> >>    INN_FR
> >>    INN_DE
> >>    MOL_NM_CA (which may be the same or different from IN_EN)
> >>    MOL_NM_US (which may be the same or different from IN_EN)
>
> do we have agreement that the above has may some value in keeping together
> the data (at most, one record per ATC)?

A proper database structure would be:

table atc
        pk integer
        code varchar
        who_name varchar

(it can be discussed whether the official who_name should be
treated as the english INN verbatim or whether it should be
considered just a a textual rendering of the code -
pragmatically the former approach is likely rather safe)

table atc_translation
        pk integer
        fk_atc integer references (atc.pk)
        language_code varchar
        inn varchar
        molecule_name varchar           (null if not existant or equal to inn)

Again, this way one does not need to change the database
structure (add a column) when a new translation becomes
available.

BTW, is there a page on the freediams website which defines
the relevant terms and abbreviations (molecule, SPC, INN,
ATC) ?  This would help tremendously in making sure everyone
is talking about the same thing.

> Even if the sources (automated and manual) would be kept separate there is
> IMO value to the above, no?

There is but not by having one column per languge.