Re: Angiotensin II antagonists: new combination was Re: [Gnumed-devel] m

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: Angiotensin II antagonists: new combination was Re: [Gnumed-devel] multi substance drug
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:20:10 +0200

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:42:16AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> > FYI FDA approves another triple-drug combination for resistant
> > hypertension: Tribenzor
> > The new product combines the angiotensin-receptor blocker olmesartan, the
> > calcium-channel blocker amlodipine, and the diuretic hydrochlorothiazide.
>
> There is no ATC yet for this *specific* combination... there exists thus far
>
> C CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM
> C09 AGENTS ACTING ON THE RENIN-ANGIOTENSIN SYSTEM
> C09D ANGIOTENSIN II ANTAGONISTS, COMBINATIONS
> C09DX Angiotensin II antagonists, other combinations
> ATC code      Name    DDD      U       Adm.R   Note
> C09DX01       valsartan, amlodipine and hydrochlorothiazide
> C09DX02       valsartan and aliskiren
> so this would, for now, be
>
>       C09DX

Indeed. That and the per-INN ATC assignments will still
allow including it with allergy/interaction calculations.

> and maybe later C09DX03 but we had better wait to be sure.

It is going to take a while until WHO decides to assign a
code. I don't think that even approval by the US FDA is
sufficient reason for them to automatically assign an ATC
code. Which - given the limited-by-design nature of ATC -
I tend to agree with.

> It will be interesting to see how quickly that gets into the
> freely-downloadable FDA data files :-)

I'm sure it'll be in the next download or it should be.