[Gnumed-devel] Re: DICOM viewers (Was: Contributing to DebianMed)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: DICOM viewers (Was: Contributing to DebianMed)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 23:20:59 +0200

> In fact Aeskulap seems to be dead upstream - at least there was no new
> code from upstreams since years.  There is another project which is
> perhaps comparable:
>
>    http://www.orcero.org/irbis/kradview/

kradview couldn't do what aeskulap was able to do for me last time
I looked. In fact, kradview isn't even installable anymore in a recent
Debian AFAICT which simply kills it as far as GNUmed is concerned.

> So perhaps spending some time into comparing these two projects (I
> personally have no real idea how to compare the features) might make
> sense.  If it turns out that kradview is better than Aeskulap we should
> perhaps restart the packaging effort of this

Package an already-dead project because it seems better than an
already-packaged, also-dead project ?   Hey, why not :-)

> or even a more reasonable project suggested by
> our medical imaging experts???

There is none that I am aware of that are of interest to GNUmed
(clinical diagnostic radiology viewer rather than scientific imaging).

How about just doing a well described, limited-in-scope
assignment-type project with a known, immediately useful outcome ?

That would be my suggestion anyway.