Re: [Gnumed-devel] FreeDiams news

From: Eric MAEKER
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] FreeDiams news
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 13:19:43 +0200

On 2010-08-14, at 2:57 PM, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:

Hey... while Karsten is in the wishing mode ... wish me a Brasilian drug base too ;)

Well, there is more that you can do than simply wish. You can find out what branch of the government approves the drugs which can be sold (marketed) in brazil, and those which can not.

Every one of these drugs will have a non-proprietary / generic / chemical entity name which might be an english (american AHFS or WHO INN) name.

Every one of these drugs will also have a "brand or commercial name" provided by each company that wants to sell the drug.

Without any doubt, all of the above information and likely even all of the information about the strength and form exists in data files possessed by the government.

Very likely the only problem is that the government did not get around to packaging this information at all, let alone with any read me for file layouts.

If you really did see this as something worthwhile...

.. do you have a secretary?
... can he / she find out what branch of government looks after drug approvals? .. can she get a name and contact number and find out when this person is next available? ... would she understand enough of what you are wanting to determine if the contact person is the right person or alternatively would suggest some other better person (maybe in government IT etc) to help identify what is available, for you to contact? .. if she would not understand enough but can find *some* name and phone number, would you call them yourself?

If none of the above, and if you have no local doctors or medical organization that would understand the above to be useful, then it will just stay a dream :-)

Hi all,

I many cases you can find datas over the Internet. You should first search in these pages:

http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/pharmacopoeia/WHOPSMQSM2006_2_IndexPharmacopoeiasUpdated.pdf
        http://www.pharmj.com/noticeboard/info/pip/foreignmedicines.html

Which are reported in the Code Google website of FreeMedForms

        http://code.google.com/p/freemedforms/wiki/LinksPage

If you can find usable **free** docs as described by Jim we can work on these.

I've made a small research on Google like "brazilian pharmacopoeia" or "brazilian medical drugs" without success. May be, if you don't find with these links, you can go deeper on with this google research.

-- Jim

Eric