Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed - organizations

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed - organizations
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 23:30:14 +0100

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 01:26:13PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> I am mainly thinking that even while the field is helpful,
> it is not usual and may be confusing. The english ambiguity
> (Direction, Directions) does not help. I thought about
> Notes, but that might ambiguate with the lower-down
> "Comment"

I did consider that and decided against it for that very reason.

> How about
>
>       Detail
>
> which lets it be used (as would be done in other EMRs) as a flexible "Street
> 2".

Hm. "Detail" doesn't really capture the meaning. Having

Street:
Detail:

would make it seem that there's some non-specific street
info in "Street" while the real deal sits in "Detail". In
fact, the field stores *additional* information further
explaining "Street". Consider this:

Number:  1202
Subunit: Building A
Street:  RR 4 N
Detail:  the postbox is behind a brush 20m into the driveway
Comment: do not drop letters for daughter, always deliver in-person

        (meaning "Rural Route 4 northwards, post box 1202,
        Building A" where family A lives in building A on the
        same farm as another family)

That's how I had the idea of "Directions" for "Detail".

Other cases would be "lost" addresses or duplicate streets
("the one in the west, not the center one").

> There is potential mixed use of such a field within a
> single instance of GNUmed, in some cases as a mailing detail
> (Post Office Box) and in other cases to assist in-person
> visits. I suppose that would complicate the programming of
> mailing labels.

Sure, but we won't be attempting to outsmart the user except
for using a suggestive input field label. Maybe we should
just go ahead and use the ugly "Street comment" or similar
ugliness ?

Comment shouldn't end up on a mailing label while street
notes will.