[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed deployment in Yei Sudan

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed deployment in Yei Sudan
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 19:31:51 +0100

Hi all,

Imagine my surprise when I was contacted just 4 days ago by someone who was
trying to deploy GNUmed in Yei Sudan.

> This work is being done for Matthias Rossow, M.D.  and is one of your
(German) countrymen.  Matthias has done an unbelievable job putting together a
medical clinic, and is one of 3 physicians in Yei Sudan.  He has some
community health works that function nearly as physicians, and your EMR
(GNUmed) will allow him to monitor and communicate with these workers.  I
(Greg) can't take credit for the idea, but Matthias has asked me to set things
up.

>It would be better for his operation to be able to function via the server so
everyone can have access.  All of the Microsoft machines are laptops.

>I'm impressed with what you have developed,and am going to install it in our
office when I get back to Texas.

This person was trying to set up a server on openSUSE 11.1 and clients on
Windows laptops.

The GNUmed log files have proven very valuable.

E-Mailing back and forth for 4 days led to a working deployment. Just a few
hours before the guy installing it had to head home to Texas we received the
following message.

> We have it running.  Wish you were here, I would give you a cigar. Thank you
very much for all of your assistance!!!!

>Greg

Here are just a few problems they face down there:

- Internet speed is 300baud per second. there is just no way to download large
files. There is just no way to connect to a webbased server hosted in some
cloud in Europe or the US.

- electricity is shut show every night and available for a few hours during
the day

- I wonder what the climate does to the hardware

I am happy we could help a little bit by developing GNUmed. I have no
information yet why they have chosen GNUmed despite the fact that software
like openMRS is targeted at locations like down there.

Sebastian