Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [Gnumed-bugs] xDT import problems

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [Gnumed-bugs] xDT import problems
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:26:01 +0100

> Suppose an appointment and billing database "Superbill" resides on a
> shared drive ("G")
>
> Say all front desk staff who use (and some doctors also use) Superbill
> want to pass a patient to GNUmed
>
> Say in all cases where Superbill is asked to export a patient, the
> CA-MSVA.txt will get written to the same network drive / directory e.g.
>
>       G:\Superbill\export\CA-MSVA.TXT

Yep, I follow.

> This means every time every user will switch into their locally running
> GNUmed,
>
> - they select Person > Load external
> - every one of them NEEDS TO TRAVERSE the drive and folder directory to
> G:\Superbill\export\

Huh ? Why ?

For one thing, "Person > Load external" doesn't even offer any traversal.
But even not considering that function will immediately offer any
patients it found and could parse from any external data sources it
knew about ?

In this case users would have a Data source

[Superbill on G]
filename = G:\Superbill\export\CA-MSVA.TXT

And thus GNUmed would know about the file automatically (it also needs to
know that Superbill uses the CA-MSVA format but that's another story).

> OR
>
> - praxis IT can alter the gnumed.conf files
> - in these files they can set
>       filename = G:\Superbill\export\CA-MSVA.TXT
> - they can probably even make a clonal file for receptionists and a clonal
> file for doctors

That's correct.

> Seeā€¦ I agreed with you that every praxis manager could want to put its
> exported files in a different location, and so at no point was I suggesting
> GNUmed ought to *define* one default location except as a dummy value in
> .conf like
>
>       PathAndOptionallyFilenameToWhereToLookForExternalFiles
>

> In my scenario, if we would tell GNUmed to read (from .conf) where
>
>       Person > Load external
>
> should open, then the file picker

Person > Load external DOESN'T HAVE a file picker ?!?

That's why I fail to understand what it is you are suggesting.

> and this workflow is a "manual" partial implementation of "slave mode"

Slave mode is orthogonal to data sources. It just so happens that data
sources are particularly helpful in slave mode because that's one way
how applications can communicate patient data to GNUmed.

> I just realized that an alternative to a .conf file setting would be for
> the database (upon selecting Person > Load external) could store the
> last-used path except in the case of this being the local path of one user
> how it
> would impact the next user.

There is no last-used path. Person > Load external looks at whatever paths
are defined in the external data source profiles and nothing else.

I still fail to understand what you desire to achieve with a configurable
default look-here directory. Mainly because there is no look-here functionality
in the parts of GNUmed you describe.

GMX DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 €/mtl.! Jetzt auch mit