Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encounter defaults

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encounter defaults
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:32:25 +0100

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 09:06:36AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> I am also mindful that it will most often be praxis front
> desk staff that create a patient and after inputting the
> necessary information they may be unlikely to retouch that
> record until after the encounter timer has auto-closed it.
> It is likely that the encounter will carry whatever
> encounter type was the default for the praxis and will
> likely be inappropriate.

Whether it is inappropriate is entirely up to the praxis.

In our praxis 99.9% of new patients are created at the start
of their very first encounter.

> Would it be acceptable to introduce into the GNUmed "stock" encounter types
>
>       person creation
>
> and for this to be treated as the default
>
>       Encounter: person creation
>
> in the person creation step, even ignoring whatever the praxis had otherwise
> set (for example "in surgery")?

Well, the patient *was* "in surgery" so it isn't really
inappropriate.

If a praxis really desires the above micro management they
can easily create the desired encounter type and apply it
using the hook "post_patient_activation".

In fact, I just now added the new hook

        post_patient_creation

which is (at the moment) a bit redundant (because we
currently always activate a newly created patient which will
call "post_patient_activation" upon which the hook script
could detect whether its a new patient) but is helpful
nonetheless.