[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed substance schema was Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed substance schema was Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 22:01:36 -0800

On 2011-01-02, at 7:45 PM, Jim Busser wrote:

I *could* script a replacement of the names, keying on the ATCs (where known) and by this method globally replace with the INN english

However in some cases this would make the substance name less informative, for example the INN for

ATC V01AA07 is

V VARIOUS
V01 ALLERGENS
V01A ALLERGENS
V01AA Allergen extracts

ATC code   Name   DDD   U  Adm.R  Note
V01AA07   insects

whereas the "molecule name" as provided from Canadian source is

APIS MELLIFERA VENOM PROTEIN EXTRACT
DERMATOPHAGOIDES FARINAE
DERMATOPHAGOIDES PTERONYSSINUS
DOLICHOVESPULA ARENARIA VENOM PROTEIN EXTRACT
DOLICHOVESPULA MACULATA VENOM PROTEIN EXTRACT
HONEY BEE VENOM PROTEIN
POLISTES SPP VENOM PROTEIN EXTRACT
VESPULA SPP VENOM PROTEIN EXTRACT
WASP VENOM PROTEIN
WHITE FACED HORNET VENOM PROTEIN
YELLOW HORNET VENOM PROTEIN
YELLOW JACKET VENOM PROTEIN

so maybe I should not replace them. Also, the WHO points out in respect to ATCs

Prednisolone in single ingredient products is given several ATC codes due
to different therapeutic use and different local application formulations:

A07EA01 Intestinal antiinflammatory agents
C05AA04 Antihemorrhoidals for topical use
D07AA03 Dermatological preparations
H02AB06 Corticosteroids for systemic use
R01AD02 Nasal decongestants
S01BA04 Ophthalmologicals
S02BA03 Otologicals

whereas the current GNUmed schema constrains any one substance

{description, amount, units}

to be unique, and therefore hold only a single ATC, making its ATC arbitrary and maybe serving only to identify the substance (but not how, or for what, it is being used). This is a problem that I am having with attaching ATC to substance, because ATC is a property of one way that a substance can *potentially* be used however this will very much depend on the properties of the vehicle (the formulation of the commercial drug).

-- Jim