Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed substance schema was Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed substance schema was Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:56:47 +0100

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 10:01:36PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> However in some cases this would make the substance name less informative,
> for example the INN for
>
> ATC V01AA07 is
>       V01AA07         insects
>
> whereas the "molecule name" as provided from Canadian source is
>
>       APIS MELLIFERA VENOM PROTEIN EXTRACT
>       DERMATOPHAGOIDES FARINAE
>       DERMATOPHAGOIDES PTERONYSSINUS
>       DOLICHOVESPULA ARENARIA VENOM PROTEIN EXTRACT
>       DOLICHOVESPULA MACULATA VENOM PROTEIN EXTRACT
>       HONEY BEE VENOM PROTEIN
>       POLISTES SPP VENOM PROTEIN EXTRACT
>       VESPULA SPP VENOM PROTEIN EXTRACT
>       WASP VENOM PROTEIN
>       WHITE FACED HORNET VENOM PROTEIN
>       YELLOW HORNET VENOM PROTEIN
>       YELLOW JACKET VENOM PROTEIN
>
> so maybe I should not replace them.

No, by no means replace them ! But do apply the ATC code to
all of them. The ATC is optional in ref.consumable_substance
anyway.

> Also, the WHO points out in respect to ATCs
>
> Prednisolone in single ingredient products is given several ATC codes due
> to different therapeutic use and different local application formulations:

> whereas the current GNUmed schema constrains any one substance
>
>       {description, amount, units}
>
> to be unique, and therefore hold only a single ATC, making
> its ATC arbitrary and maybe serving only to identify the
> substance (but not how, or for what, it is being used).

That's right. That's also how I intended to use the ATC
code. It turns out I did not fully comprehend the *meaning*
of the ATC code.

I will add a comment to that effect to the field in question.