Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed substance schema was Re: GNUmed and FreeDi

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed substance schema was Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 13:53:37 -0800

On 2011-01-04, at 12:10 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> *But* the column ref.lnk_substance2brand.pk *will* resolve it --- provided
>> the user *bothered* to specify/distinguish the Brand, right?
>
> It may technically resolve it but it will mostly be wrong.
> If you want to find the brand of a substance intake you need
> to look at fk_drug_component rather than at fk_substance.

I was confirming whether

        in table clin.substance_intake

the value

        ref.lnk_substance2brand.pk

should resolve it, only I referred to it incorrectly as the column

        fk_drug_component

when in fact ref.lnk_substance2brand.pk is the *FKEY* for the column

        fk_drug_component

but in either case, given FK enforcement, then provided

        fk_drug_component is NOT NULL

then the correct BRAND will be identifiable (with its external_code e.g.
Canadian UID and external_code_type e.g. "FreeDiams::CA_HCDPD") ??

        ref:
http://salaam.homeunix.com/~ncq/gnumed/schema/gnumed_v15/gnumed-schema.html#clin.table.substance-intake