Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: [Gnumed-bugs] <bug>: first Start

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: [Gnumed-bugs] <bug>: first Start
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 20:56:20 +0100

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:29:04AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> In order to again try out Ubuntu, I just downloaded Ubuntu 10.0.4 and put it
> in a VirtualBox machine.
>
> When one then goes to
>
>       Ubuntu Software Centre
>
> you can search for gnumed. What you can there find, and install, is  0.6.2.1

This speaks to the quality of Ubuntu.

> so this makes me wonder
>
> 1) no matter what there version of OS, it should be possible for the client
> to be advised and notified of any existence of newer version within-branch

It is possible.

>       for example, 0.6.2 should detect and notify of 0.6.2.1 but not 0.7 and
> 0.8
>
> but did we establish at some point for this to have been made the "default"
> behaviour?

The current git master says:

        consider_latest_branch = bool(dbcfg.get2 (
                option = u'horstspace.update.consider_latest_branch',
                workplace = gmSurgery.gmCurrentPractice().active_workplace,
                bias = 'workplace',
                default = True
        ))

So, no, it considers the latest available branch by default.

However, even that means it shows information on both the
latest version of the current branch AND the latest version
on the latest branch.

> 2) can we think of some way to help users who install
> GNUmed via their own machine's software centre that they
> need to change their repo settings before they would "see"
> the higher branches?

It'll be challenging to provide sufficient, um, electricity
to the neurons of the world.

> I am only wondering how to work around
> that 10.0.4 can only know about the 0.6 branch.

It also knows about other branches.