Re: [Gnumed-devel] Free FotoFinder Replacement: MediSnap

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Free FotoFinder Replacement: MediSnap
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:33:40 +0100

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 03:15:20PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> I'm sure Andreas will give as much support as he can from
> the Debian point of view (that is, mainly providing the
> means for actually uploading packages).

Definitely.  Karsten told me about the importance of this package and I
think we should work together on official Debian packages.

> He will, however,
> need a lot of support such that a package actually gets
> created. I have also CC'ed the Debian Med mailing list. You
> would want to work on that list in order to produce a
> working package ready for inclusion (which Andreas will -
> after doing appropriate QA - very likely sponsor for
> upload).

In the past we had some quite fruitful cooperation to create Debian
packages from different software.  Just tell us if you feel able to do
some work regarding packaging and we are keen on answering your
questions, providing help and patches in doing so.  Currently my spare
time does not really allow me to start with larger packages from scratch
but providing help is definitely my high priority goal at any time.  So
if you want MediSnap packaged for Debian as an official Debian package
for the successor of the to be released soon Debian 6.0 we should start
working together with this.

> By creating a Debian package "market penetration" will be a
> lot different than before. It will then also automatically
> get into Ubuntu and a lot of other Debian derived
> distributions. After which other distributions usually
> become interested ;-)

Increasing market penetration of free medical software is definitely one
goal of the Debian Med project.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--