[Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: GNUmed 0.9.rc2

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: GNUmed 0.9.rc2
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:15:18 +0100

[Also CC Debian Med list]

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 09:16:36PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 08:10:15PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> > > NEW: support dicomscope as DICOM viewer
>
> Don't be fooled. This means *also* support dicomscope in
> addition to those already supported.

I understood it like this and thus I wondered whether we should probably
*also* depend from this in the med-practice task (and perhaps other we
might have just forgotten).

> > I just noticed that the med-practice[1] metapackage contains one package
> > which provides DICOM viewer functionality: aeskulap.  As somebody who is
> > not using this package I wonder, whether this package is somehow
> > specific for a medical practice (and if yes, why) or whether this is
> > just a historical artifact because it was simply the first in Debian.
> > Could you give some kind of usage statistics, what DICOM viewer which is
> > packaged for Debian is the most useful in a medical practice?
>
> Let me tell you this: *all of them are crap* as far as the
> busy doctor goes. Aeskulap is, perhaps, closest to the
> *looks* of the typical Windows browsers.

Ahh, OK.

> Dicomscope OTOH
> scratches the surface when it comes to offering the built-in
> tools a doctor needs to evaluate images (but doesn't support
> DICOMDIR reading AFAICT).

I just include Debian Med list.  Perhaps some detailed wishlist bug
report to document missing features makes sense.

> Here's another dirty little secret: Many of the commercial
> viewers which are put on patient CD-ROMs are crap as well :-))
>
> OsiriX and/or CADx need to get packaged for Debian !!  :-))

Well, the source of OsiriX is there.  I was told it is "impossible" to
port to anything else than Mac OS X because it heavily relayes on some
internal features.  However, I have learned that "imposible" is usually
not the proper wording:  It's just that it needs somebody with high
energy and the dedication to a project ...

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de