Re: [Gnumed-devel] abbr expansion

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] abbr expansion
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 23:57:06 +0200

> address@hidden wrote:
>
> > we should use triggering mechanism for default abbr expansion. Eg
> > an = an
> > but
> > an! = avascular necrosis
> >
> > niddm remain niddm
> > but niddm! becomes Diabetes mellitus type ii or non-insulin dependent
> > diabetes mellitus
> >
> > vaibhav
>
> I agree with the concept, but this should be individually programmed by
> each user.
> I use 2 EHRs and minimal expansions as I can type quite reasonably.
> The example you gave will cause havoc if you wish to use an '!' at the
> end of a word, which is of course the normal grammatical place for the
> character.

This is how it technically works in GNUmed:

1) after each keystroke the last character entered is checked for
   a range of end-of-word characters

      among those are spaces and interpunctions

2) if an end-of-word character is found GNUmed checks the last "word"
   typed for start-of-string matches in the keyword space of the
   text macros

       type "**dm;" will trigger on the ";" and will match
       "**dm1" as well "**dm2" (which expand to Diabetes mellitus 1 and 2)

3) if one keyword matches it is replaced

4) if more than one keyword matches a list of the matches
   is offered for the user to choose from

5) if there is no match GNUmed leaves things as is

Therefor we strongly recommend starting keywords that als have real use
(niddm) with some modified, say "**", such that one can safely write
"niddm" as well as expand on "**niddm". But it is all up to the whims
of the user. If the users configures "the" to be a keyword for expansion
each and every "the" will get expanded.