Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demographics > Social network… not yet implemented?

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demographics > Social network… not yet implemented?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:52:14 +0200

Am Freitag, 29. April 2011, 02:38:37 schrieb Jim Busser:

> What about Primary doctor? Will doctors exist as persons in GNUmed? We know
> that the answer for doctor-users within the praxis, the answer will be
> yes, however in my province of British Columbia we have > 10,000 doctors
> so I am not sure whether they should all be created in the persons table.
> But maybe they should?

GNUmed should be designed to handle 10000 persons with ease. If not it needs
work.

> One of the practical considerations to keep in mind is when a related data
> file (as describes these 10,000 + doctors) update becomes available. If
> these doctors exist as persons, then it should be desirable to be able to
> isolate which of these persons' addresses and phone numbers (their office
> praxis numbers) should be updated, without deleting their home numbers or
> their unpublished back-office line previously disclosed to us and recorded
> in GNUmed and which we phone to make referrals.

Makes sense. What update are you talking about ? Or more specific which
source. File based upates ?

You have two options. Either maually change the records one by one or write an
importer. As always with importers you can do what you intend to do but keep
in mind that matching record in the update file and in GNUmed might be tricky.
A doctor might marry and change the name, specialty etc.

I have been thinking about this for some time and had the idea that there
should be doctor's database (e.g. crowd sourced) as many official medical
associations have it. One could then link a GNUmed person/doctor to a  record
in that database.

LDAP (local/online) comes to mind.

Sebastian