Re: [Gnumed-devel] printing on Windows

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] printing on Windows
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 22:37:22 +0200

Am Samstag, 30. April 2011, 18:44:28 schrieb Jim Busser:
> On 2011-04-29, at 6:27 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> >> I believe we cannot rely on Adobe Reader being installed so we need to
> >> find another way.
> >
> > Oh, I'd think it'd be reasonable to expect that. After all,
> > many academic electronic papers come as PDF.
>
> If we expect Adobe to be present, then I would remind us of
>
>       http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2010-01/msg00112.html

If we really need to go down that road (which I hope not) I recommend we use
python instead.

two solutions:

1)

We can let  acroread which should work better then doing it from a batch file
There are a few solutions to be found:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/544923/switching-printer-trays

2.) use gsprint.exe

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4498099/silent-printing-of-a-pdf-in-python

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/gsprint.htm

I vote for using gsprint.exe as the default method. We might want to check if
we are on Windows and if so we could bypass calling gm-print_doc.bat (which
does not yet exist) and use python to call gsprint.exe

This might even allow to address different paper trays.

Let me know what you think.

Sebastian