Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinicians: coding use case survey - please respond !

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinicians: coding use case survey - please respond !
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 17:01:14 +0200

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 07:24:45AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> This reminds me though… it may be helpful to allow the ICD reference
> >> description to default / overwrite an empty description or even a
> >> populated description
> >
> > The episode.description cannot be empty:
> >
> >     "sane_description" CHECK (gm.is_null_or_blank_string(description) IS
> > FALSE)
> >
> > (a database level constraint)
>
> well, ok smarty pants <grin>
>
> what I would have meant to say is that in whatever is the
> original instance a description is offered (where the
> description has not yet been written to database) but is
> staring at the user (blank) I would suggest that if an ICD
> is picked -- presumably the field / phrasewheel will be
> adjacent -- then picking a code will refresh the description
> for the current patient's episode (or health issue) and the
> user could then choose to tweak it

I never thought of the fact that the user may be picking the
code at the time of creating a new episode at which time the
description field may, indeed, still be empty.

In such cases, yes, the official term could populate the
description field.

I am currently wrangling much baser issues, though :-)

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de