Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinicians: coding use case survey - please respond !

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinicians: coding use case survey - please respond !
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 00:12:00 +0200

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 02:50:42PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> 1) I said I would review method 1 vs 2, but I intended
> that to be in a followup email, which I did not yet do.
> Maybe I will not bother, if the question is already fully
> enough answered by the practical requirements, of which I
> just posted an example thereof (diabetes mellitus, diabetes
> insipidus, hypertension)

Yep, great example.

> 2) I said "However on this question… there are two main
> individual-patient scenarios, and the resulting
> across-patients-cascade scenario if it is to be implemented
> at all." but I did not answer it in any missing tail. Is
> this question even still needing an answer, whether to
> "cascade" anything across patients? I am assuming that
> changing anything in one patient will not change it in any
> other patient. THIS IS IMPORTANT -- PLEASE CONFIRM.

The implicit model would have made it impossible (because
implicit here very much *means* that it carries over) to
prevent "cascading" (it would not technically cascade in
that something from one place is taken and put somewhere
else, too). People have expressed their dislike of this
cascading and their desire of being able to code same-name
episodes with different code lists in different patients.

This can only be done with the explicit model.

The explicit model does NOT automatically cascade, so, this
is confirmed (it can be made to do so on user decision,
however).

> 3) there was no signature block "-- Jim", which I had
> accidentally only "lost" because it seems the people that I
> deal with "locally" cannot cope with quoted text at the top
> of the email and reading down to my reply. They demand my
> replies to be always at the top of the email, and they do
> not like selective quoting, they always want the entirety of
> the thread preserved, in every reply. Therefore, when I
> reply to the GNUmed list, I must manually cut my signature
> from the top of my reply, and stick in on the bottom (unless
> I forget).

Sheesh. I understand. No problem.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de