Re: [Gnumed-devel] python 2.7 Debian and other platforms

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] python 2.7 Debian and other platforms
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 07:33:08 +0200

Am Samstag, 7. Mai 2011, 01:22:03 schrieb Jim Busser:
> Do we know anything about python 2.7 as it relates to GNUmed
>
> - would it break anything, to run GNUmed under python 2.7

Works just fine. This is default on openSUSE 11.4

> - does python 2.7 offer anything that GNUmed should like (but if the answer
> is yes, is it backward incompatible and therefore forgettable)

2.7 IMHO can run code targeted at 2.6 just fine.

> last question… do we think that even though Debian and Ubuntu etc will
> further develop, that python 2.6 is likely to remain runnable on future OS
> releases for at least 4-5 years before GNUmed should have to be recoded
> in, say, python 3.x?

Unless there is some pressing need for 3.x we will go for whatever is in
Debian stable/testing.

It is not that hard to convert to python 3.x

The easiest thing to do would be to run it on 3.x and report on where it
breaks.

Sebastian