Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encounter types suggested additions

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encounter types suggested additions
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 10:24:40 +0200

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 02:59:30PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> In know that the expression "in surgery" may be so
> well-estaboished in some people's minds to be reluctant to
> change it, however it may owe its origins to when it was
> previously the barber who performed surgery (the
> barber-surgeon) and AFAIK it is only in commonwealth
> countries (UK, AU, NZ) that a place of medical practice
> outside of a hospital is called "a surgery".
>
> In North America the art of medicine is also known as the
> "practice" of medicine and the organizational unit is
> considered a "medical practice" so I wondered whether,
> recognizing the i18n target of GNUmed, the default name
> could better be
>
>       in praxis

While I understand your sentiment and also very much
appreciate the suggestion of "praxis" it would not be all
that useful to assume we could/should change the default.
Also I wonder whether GNUmed should introduce a new,
not-so-common term risking people going:

"In praxis ?  WTH ?"

"Aah, you mean in surgery/in office/in clinic !"

The user can add/remove (unused) encounter types as they
wish. She can also define the default encounter type to be
applied (again, per user, per workplace):

        def start_new_encounter(self):
                cfg_db = gmCfg.cCfgSQL()
                # FIXME: look for MRU/MCU encounter type config here
                enc_type = cfg_db.get2 (
                        option = u'encounter.default_type',
                        workplace = _here.active_workplace,
                        bias = u'user',
                        default = u'in surgery'
                )
                self.current_encounter =
gmEMRStructItems.create_encounter(fk_patient = self.pk_patient, enc_type =
enc_type)
                _log.debug('new encounter [%s] initiated' %
self.current_encounter['pk_encounter'])

As usual, I am not adverse to better arguments. One may be
that hard-coding "in praxis" may actually be a better
built-in default exactly because everyone involved will go
"in praxis ?!?" and change it to their local ways :-)

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de