[Gnumed-devel] Problems dumping database (Mac limitation on su -c)

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Problems dumping database (Mac limitation on su -c)
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 23:23:32 -0700

After moving into

/etc/gnumed

suitably-named copies of the server 15.5 tarball backup and restore scripts, my attempt to run the backup was bitten presumably by the Mac discontinuation of support for the -c option in

su -c

with the resulting terminal output:

MacBook:server djb$ sudo -i
Password:
MacBook:~ root# cd /Users/djb/Downloads/gnumed-server.15.5/server

sh ./gm-backup_database.sh

if ! su -c "psql -t -l -p ${GM_PORT}" -l postgres | grep -q "^[[:space:]]*${GM_DATABASE}" ; then
echo "The configuration in ${CONF} is set to backup"
echo "the GNUmed database ${GM_DATABASE}. This"
echo "database does not exist, however. Aborting."
exit 1
fi

so I then tried again, after disabling the above "sanity check code" and ran into different problems. My questions are:

1) is there any suggested workaround method of achieving the above sanity check on Mac which maybe needs splitting into extra lines or clauses?

2) is any of the trouble below a function of whether or not the system account postgres is allowed to read and/or write to the directory from which the dump is being called and.or the directory in which the dump files would be written?

MacBook-2:server root# sh ./gm-backup_database.sh
could not identify current directory: Permission denied
psql: warning: extra command-line argument "name," ignored
psql: warning: extra command-line argument "for" ignored
psql: warning: extra command-line argument "example" ignored
psql: warning: extra command-line argument "gnumed_v15" ignored
Password for user database:
psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "database"
./gm-backup_database.sh: line 96: cd: /var/root/.gnumed/backup/: No such file or directory
Cannot change into backup directory [/var/root/.gnumed/backup/]. Aborting.

-- Jim