[Gnumed-devel] Backup "database" vs backup "data"

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Backup "database" vs backup "data"
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 22:10:52 -0700

From the inline script documentation,

        gm-backup_database.sh creates an uncompressed, plain text (SQL) backup
# of the database schema, data, and roles which can be used to # restore a
GNUmed database from scratch with psql.

whereas

        gm-backup_data.sh creates a backup of the data of a GNUmed # database
(including neither roles nor the schema)

which got me to thinking… while I can understand that people will not need to
back up the schema daily – as the schema may not change more often than once
every few months – how often will the roles change? Are we talking about

                postgres roles AND gnumed users

which means that any (every) time a new doctor or secretary is enrolled as a
user, it would be important to run a full backup (not "just" the "data")

??

-- Jim