[Gnumed-devel] Managing Code packs and Consumable substances / medicatio

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Managing Code packs and Consumable substances / medications
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:48:48 -0700

I am wondering whether these two things (coding systems data, and medications)
share the attribute of possibly-large volumes of data that would be better kept
outside the main client and server packages.

These things may also have in common:

- desirability to be referenced (and pointed-to) from the wiki

- some code packs (and some sets of medications) may be allowed to live outside
their points of origin, for example they may in some cases (but not others) be
permitted to reside alongside other GNUmed packages. In other cases, they might
be restricted to live under the control of a source organization wanting
individual user(s) to register

- when the data of a code pack may not be allowed to live in a GNUmed package
repository, it may still be helpful for GNUmed to establish in its repository a
directory with a readme, scripts that may be able to fetch and download data
locally, reference to the source etc

- some of these scripts may live in /server/extras or whatever is the correct
name for such place (I deleted all my tarballs)