Re: [Gnumed-devel] Family History tables

From: Rogerio Luz Coelho
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Family History tables
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 20:10:09 -0300

2011/6/8 Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>
Providing a .family_id field is not a problem at all,
technically. But it's a quagmire regarding actual use:

Say, my parents have a family history of diabetes.

Yes you are their son so you get a FamID equal to theirs

I do want to have the same .family_id as my parents do.

Say, may wife's family has a family history of stroke.

My wife does want the same .family_id as her parents do.

Yes and she gets theirs also.

Now, I don't have a changed risked of stroke because of my
wife's FHx.

My wife does not have increased Diabetes risk because of my
family.

Thus we both do NOT want the same .family_id because we
don't transfer risks to each other.

Oh but GNUmed can handle more than one family ID per user right?

Say her mom's FamID is #4
When we decide she gets married with Karsten-FamID #12 (just a random name of course ;) they will get FamID #127

She will be linked to #4 (as all her offspring), but not to #12 (but their offspring will) leaving us with the dificult but nice decision to stop this crosslinking at some point.

After this is implmented it would be relatively easy to present the gnumed-user with some sort of genealogram, and then (when I finally take the courage to try to code a plugin) we can be the first family oriented EMR in the market ... world domination around the corner!!

Rogerio